The Nichrome Wire Problem
On all GMC Motorhomes, high voltage output from the Alternator can Burn/over
heat the excitation nichrome wire which will melt the wires behind
the dash causing shorts and failures of the dash wiring.
THE CAUSES OF THE HIGH VOLTAGE
1 The diode to the Engine battery in the diode isolator goes bad with
a high voltage drop or an open condition.
2 The Alternator goes bad and outputs a high voltage all the time.
1. Burning/over heating of the nichrome wire.
2 Over voltage to the two (coach and house) battery systems.
3. Blowing of the generator indicator lamp.
4 Flickering of the generator lamp during normal operation.
1 The APC will help in items 1, 3, 4 and some failures in item 2.
2 Cutting or removing the nichrome wire will help in item 1 only.
3 Replacing the nichrome wire with a resistor will help in item 1 only
by moving the heat source to a different location.
4 Replacing the nichrome wire with a resistor and diode will help in
items 1, 3, 4 and some failures in item 2.
[INDEX] | [SUGGESTIONS]